Happy New Year! I hope you all had a wonderful holiday with friends and family and celebrated with a few miles. Ushering in 2018 brings the opportunity for goal setting on your run, in your life and in business. This is exactly what we’ve been doing at Brooks. We wake up every day thinking about running—it’s all we do. We are on a mission to provide the best gear for all, no matter how you run. We believe running is the most inclusive sport the world has ever known. Regardless of your mileage, how often you run or what motivates you, we want to earn your trust to become your brand of choice.
For Brooks, 2017 was an incredible year. We ended it with the second consecutive quarter of double-digit growth and celebrated several noteworthy milestones:
- On Global Running Day, Brooks signed nearly 60,000 runners to be #BrooksEndorsed and cheered on these athletes as they embarked on their own personal running journeys.
- We introduced exciting new shoes and technologies including the Revel and Levitate with DNA AMP. In fact, the Levitate is quickly becoming my favorite shoe when I want to feel fast—it’s simply fun to run in.
- Brooks signed on as a sponsor of the 2018 Special Olympics USA Games. We are thrilled to partner with an organization that shares our purpose of inspiring everyone to run and be active. We’ll launch special edition USA Games gear and hundreds of our employees will engage to support this premier event and its inspiring athletes as they compete in Seattle this summer.
- We announced our partnership with HP and Superfeet to reinvent performance running by bringing truly personalized footwear to anyone who wants it via FitStation powered by HP.
- Our professional athletes—including the Brooks Beasts and Hansons-Brooks Original Distance Project (ODP)—inspired runners through a variety of performances both on and off the track:
- Brooks Beast Katie Mackey won the U.S. Road Mile Championships
- Brooks Beast Drew Windle took home the bronze in the men’s 800m at the U.S. Outdoor Track & Field Championships and went on to compete at the World Outdoor Track & Field Championships
- The Hansons-Brooks ODP Women won the U.S. Club Cross Country Championships
- Brooks Runner Gabriele Grunewald inspired people around the globe by chronicling her fourth battle with cancer and running’s unique power to provide strength and optimism
- In between the hard work it takes to win with customers in run, Brooks employees also managed to log a few miles. My own rave run of 2017 was a fiery sunrise run at Seattle’s Green Lake loop (see the photo above) in our epic summer to remember.
What you can expect from Brooks in 2018 is more Run Happy. We are challenging ourselves to find new ways to inspire people to run and be active and celebrate the run at every turn. This year we’ll introduce more new technologies and products than ever before. Our goal as always is to meet the needs runners have while delivering crave-worthy experiences and performance. In 2018, our team will not disappoint.
For all of us who run today, we do it because we know it will make our day better (even if the act itself is hard!). It simply makes you happier! We hope more people join us in 2018—no question the world needs a good run!
Thank you for your support in 2017 and cheers for a terrific year ahead. May you all end 2018 healthier, faster and running happier.