Last week, Brooks ultra running legend Scott Jurek climbed to the peak of Mt. Katahdin in Maine to finish running the Appalachian Trail from beginning to end. His time of 46 days, 8 hours and 7 minutes was good for a new speed record on the trail, marking another monstrous notch in the belt for Scott.
He may have spent most of the 2,189-mile trail alone in the woods, but the things he did have with him made all the difference in getting from Georgia to Maine in record time. Runners know the the importance of the right gear, so here are the 15 things that got Scott through his adventure:
2. Pro-Tec shin and thigh compression wraps
3. Tofurkey meat alternative products
4. Ultimate Direction Signature Series vest
5. Clif Organic Energy Food
6. Black Diamond z-poles
7. So Delicious coconut milk ice cream
8. Black Diamond Icon headlamp
10. Sliced watermelon
11. Anti-Gravity Gear profile maps and the AWOL 2015 Northbound AT Guide
12. Yeti Cooler Tundra 50
14. NormaTec Recovery System
15. Smoothies with fruit, protein powder, and Essential Living Foods Organic Athletic Fuel
More Tips from Scott: 10 Trail Running Essentials
If we could add a No. 16 for Scott, we’d say a healthy dose of grit, motivation and guts helped, too.
Feeling ready to take on a trail of your own? Tell us about your next trail adventure in the comments.
Photos by Luis Escobar