Mar | 6
(0)
Athletes, Inspiration

Running for life

By Stephen (Steve) Dinneen, Osteopath, Head Coach of Dinneen Runners and Team Brooks Athlete

Was I always a runner? No.

Am I from a running family? No.

Am I a runner now? Yes.

Is my young family growing up with running? Yes.

Running at School

I was fortunate to be introduced into running at early high school and have kept it in my life since at some level whether that be trying to get fit, cross train for team sports, rehabilitation from injuries, enjoy some social fun run events or taking a completely seriously approach to racing.

“The beauty of running is that it has so many benefits and people do it for so many different reasons.”

Running at school for me was about competing, pushing myself hard, challenging myself physically and psychologically. The years following school I did some racing now and again off limited training, as my running took more of a fitness and cross training role. I would run to explore, do some tough hill runs or put in fast bursts on a run to push the body and get the high endorphin release – the feel good hormone.

Managing Running and Adult Life

Until my mid 20’s, running was one of several sports I switched between, but I always found myself coming back to running for health, general fitness and a personal challenge.

It was not until my late 20’s that I decided to take up running with a competitive focus again. See how far/fast I could go and to push myself to my limit. It was a totally different approach to running for me where your mind set is about always wanting to achieve more, a better performance and you need to start sacrificing things to achieve more. I did this for over 10 years while working as an osteopath, starting a family, becoming a coach and trying to manage everything else going on in my life. There were lots of highs and lows, good and bad luck moments, some amazing experiences and results and days you just want to forget. In the end I did not get all the times and results I wanted and believed I could achieve. Do I have any regrets? No. I prepared as best as I could and always gave my all. There are things I wished at the time that might have gone my way like weather conditions in marathons, getting better coaching at the right time or not having injuries flare up at bad times. But that is life, it throws things out you and hopefully you come out the other end better off. Which I feel I have and am forever grateful for.

Still #RunHappy now

My running now sees me racing but no longer as far up the pointy end of the field as I once did. But nothing really changes for me – I race hard and give it my all like I have always done. Once the race is over I look forward to some ease jogging and prepare for the next race. Though the body does take a few more days to recover than it use to do I am starting to noticing! Racing is only a very small part of my running but I look forward to doing it when the right opportunity presents itself. I love jogging whether it be solo or with mates – I feel you can almost solve the worlds problems in a run! Having a run with friends to me is like sitting down for a coffee – we just chat and laugh the whole way. I may be transitioning into a different phase of my life but running still has a place in my world which is what I love about it.

“It’s an activity for life!”

Stay connected with Steve Dinneen:

Facebook – @DinneenRunningAndOsteopathy

Instagram – @dinneenrunners

0 Comments

Leave a Reply

• (will not be published)

XHTML: You can use these tags: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>