Jun | 22
(0)
Brooks Shoes

Brooks Hyperion

After spending the past 6 month road testing our new racing shoe, the Hyperion, we asked Team Brooks athlete and Ironman Sarah Crowley for her feedback on one of the newest additions to the Brooks collection.

So what is it?

The Brooks Hyperion is the new lightweight neutral racing shoe from Brooks. It is very light, weighing in at just 153g (women’s size 8.5 US).

It has a 10ml drop from heel to toe which compares to 12ml for the older Brooks T7 racer which I used to race in. For me the slight change in drop is good because I am now training for Ironman which requires a less aggressive running style.

The shoe is suited for 5km racing and above.

When do you use them?Sarah Crowley runs in the Brooks Hyperion

Brooks designed this new shoe from scratch. It has not been based on any existing models. So it has been interesting running in it for this past 6 months. It is best suited for runners who need a racing flat that bridges the gap between ultra lightweight racers and lightweight daily trainers.

The shoe turned out to be far more versatile than I first expected. I personally have started to use them for all my training and racing. They are durable enough to last for an Ironman race then I can switch them over to my training shoe for my next Ironman training build. I think the amount of kilometers involved in this pattern of race then training fits well with the useful life of the shoe which would be c.700k (obviously with a 30-50k period before the race of wearing them in).

So in terms of my usage, I have used them for treadmill speed sessions, track sessions, tempo runs long runs and hill reps and they have stood up well to the battering. The only thing that I would point out is that if you have weak arches or other bio mechanical issues you may need to use another shoe for some of your training because this is a lightweight shoe with minimal support. However, despite having minimal formal structured support the shoe does provide great cushioning.

What’s in the shoe?

I find the shoe gives a good feel for the ground and the cushioning is good enough to provide protection from the pounding.

Brooks uses what’s known as its Brooks DNA technology to add cushioning and lower the weight. It’s a compound that the midsole is made from that acts like starch and water. If you have ever punched starch and water your fist will not penetrate the solution and the solution will bounce your hand off it.  The compound is also flexible when you complete your stride.

I have not had many blisters yet considering the distances I have been using the shoes. I would consider always wearing good quality socks though, particularly ones that sit high enough around your ankles.

Conclusion

I have trained and raced in the Brooks T7 for a number of years (somewhere near 10) so it was very hard to switch to a new shoe. The Hyperion is a good looking shoe so that has helped, but in all honesty the shoe has exceeded my expectations. It is an exceptional light weight versatile training / racing shoe.

Another option in the Brooks racing line that offers more support in the midfoot is the Brooks Asteria (also a new shoe).

Written by Sarah Crowley, Team Brooks Athlete.

0 Comments

Leave a Reply

• (will not be published)

XHTML: You can use these tags: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>