Jun | 21
(2)
Events

Runners Crush Records at the 2014 Brooks PR Invite

They came, they saw, they crushed records.

The nation’s fastest high school runners took the 2014 Brooks PR Invite by storm and again tore up their own PRs, setting new standards of track excellence along with a new national record and  several new U.S. No.1 times.

Bethan Knights put the stadium on its feet with a new national record in the girls 2-Mile run in a blazing time of 9:53.54, taking down Aisling Cuffe’s 2011 record of 9:54.

Her standout run came on the heels of Northport Track Club’s victory in the boys 4 x Mile Relay field. The team of Justin Leopold, Jack McGowan, Tim McGowan and Mike Brannigan ran the 2014 U.S. No. 1 time for the event in 17:06.92, just three-tenths of a second off the national record of 17:06.6 set in 1976.

In the girls 400-meter run, Olivia Baker cleaned up with a win in 53.26 and Alex Efraimson set a new U.S. No. 1 time  and a new PR in 2:03.26.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Christian Coleman set the track ablaze in the boys 100-meter dash in a time of 10.29 just before Grant Fisher ran his 2-mile race and won in 8:51.28. Complete results are below.

These performances demonstrate the talent and potential of today’s track athletes, and we can’t wait to be there every stride of the way to see these young runners grow into the future champions of the sport.

Congratulations to everyone who ran at the PR Invite! We can’t wait to see how fast we can go next year.

About Derek
I’m a runner, a writer, and a shoe lover who enjoys morning coffee, travel, singing in the car, and getting legitimately lost on trail runs. Three things I can’t live without: bubble tea, Fridays, and my Brooks PureFlow’s.
2 Comments
  1. Jesica D'Avanza

This was a great event with some incredible and inspiring performances. So glad I was able to see some of the best of the best in high school running compete. They are all rock stars!

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.