Dec | 5
(1)
Events

Running Responsibly: The Brooks Corporate Responsibility Report

It’s no secret that our mission at Brooks is to inspire the world to run and be active. A lesser known goal of ours, though, is to preserve the earth and keep water clean for runners and their families across the globe.

We’re keenly aware that because we create physical products, we inherently impact the earth and people around us. That’s why, in 2011, we released the first edition of “Running Responsibly,” our corporate responsibility report, which compiled and detailed two years’ worth of environmental and social information. Today, we present our corporate responsibility report for 2011 and 2012.

A few of our milestones from this report include:

• Since 2010, we decreased greenhouse gas emissions per shoe by 26 percent.
  • From 2011 to 2012, we doubled the number of charities we donate product to through our Run B’Cause program, from 147 to 351 organizations.
  • We reduced combined average working hours at our footwear contract manufacturers by 12 hours per week, from 68 to 56 hours per week.
  • Between 2009 and 2012, we reduced operational greenhouse gas emissions 38 percent per product.
  • Across our top seven selling footwear styles, an average of 49 percent of the total shoe weight was classified as an environmentally preferred material by the end of 2012, up 12 percent since 2009.

Take a look at more sustainability stats and see where we’re setting our new goals.

Running Responsibly: Brooks Running Corporate Responsibility Report by BrooksRunning

We remember our mission to inspire people to run, be active, to move. This is a high calling that can improve people’s lives and we deliver on it when we give runners “runnable” gear. If we don’t do that, we fail them. So while sustainability serves as a filter for every decision we make regarding product, sourcing, manufacturing and operations, we’re careful not to degrade the performance of product runners trust to take them the distance.

Run, world, run!

About Derek
I’m a runner, a writer, and a shoe lover who enjoys morning coffee, travel, singing in the car, and getting legitimately lost on trail runs. Three things I can’t live without: bubble tea, Fridays, and my Brooks PureFlow’s.
1 Comments

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.