Nov | 27
(0)
Run Happy Inspiration

Fast Food: Gluten-Free Chicken Stir Fry

I have been gluten-free longer than I have been running, so I don’t know any way to carbo-load or refuel but the gluten-free way.  Fortunately, brown rice and quinoa are both gluten-free and are a great, nutritious way to get the necessary nutrition you need the night before a long run

One of my favorite ways to do this is with a big bowl of brown rice or quinoa combined with a lean protein, veggies and teriyaki sauce. It is important to make sure that they teriyaki sauce you use is gluten-free unless you are making it from scratch at home.  If you are a vegetarian, try using tofu and/or edamame in place of the chicken. 

Try this stir fry recipe for gluten-free fuel before your next big run.

Chicken Teriyaki Stir Fry

• 1-2 pounds raw, sliced boneless chicken breast or thighs
  • San-J Teriyaki Sauce
  • Cooked brown rice
  • Sugar snap peas or vegetable of choice

1.  Clean and slice chicken. Marinate in Teriyaki sauce for at least 30 minutes.*

2.  Heat saute or frying pan over medium to medium-high heat.

3.  Cook chicken in marinade until done. I usually cover the pan for the first 5-7 minutes and then finish uncovered to thicken up the sauce a bit.

4. Cook vegetables and then combine with chicken

5. Serve over brown rice. 

gluten free running recipes, running food without gluten, gluten free food for runners, food for runners gluten-fre

*Try slicing chicken and marinating the night before or morning of to make dinner faster to cook.

I grew up going to watch my dad run weekend 10K races and just couldn’t wrap my head around running. When we lived in New Jersey, we went into New York City to watch the marathon one year. I really didn’t understand running 26.2 miles, especially in freezing cold temperatures. How ironic that the very sport that I couldn’t fathom liking as a child is the very sport that transports me to peace and tranquility now. I only started running just over five years ago when I was thirty five years old. Since then, I have run one full marathon, 14 half marathons and many races of shorter distances.  I can’t imagine my life without running.

About Kim Bouldin:

gluten free running recipes, running food without gluten, gluten free food for runners, food for runners gluten-freI am a gluten-free wife, runner and blogger with two children in Columbus, Ohio. After my celiac disease diagnosis in 2006, I have made it my mission to embrace an entirely new approach to nutrition in a gluten-free world, exploring options that run the gamut from “made from scratch” homemade bread to sampling and reviewing the gluten-free prepared foods that are continuously being introduced to the market.  In addition to sharing my journey down the road of gluten-free living, I am also sharing my journey as I train for my upcoming races. This may include gluten-free fueling, race gear, shoes and more.

About Guest Blogger
The Brooks Blog regularly features stories from our athletes, running partners and friends who exemplify Run Happy.
0 Comments

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.