Jun | 25
(5)
Run Happy Inspiration

Brooks Super Fan Gets Tattooed to Celebrate Marathon PR

The saying goes: Once a runner, always a runner. Whether out for a one-mile run or a 50-mile ultramarathon, no run is insignificant.

Even tough sometimes our number of weekly miles might dwindle with time and age, one thing is sure to not fade.

And that thing is a tattoo.

running shoe tattoo after marathon, get a tattoo to celebrate marathon finish, marathon finish tattoo, favorite running tatto

Runner, dedicated Brooks Ghost fan and recent tattoo receiver Keenan Skelly shared his photo with us along with the following story from the Big Sur Marathon:

running shoe tattoo after marathon, get a tattoo to celebrate marathon finish, marathon finish tattoo, favorite running tatto

Keenan smiles for the camera after the Big Sur marathon, just before going under the tattoo needle.

“I started running seriously two years ago, and Big Sur was my fifth marathon. It was such a surreal experience and I’m so happy I did it. It was the most challenging course I’ve ever done, but I also set a PR! It definitely inspired me to get the tattoo. Getting it was a little bit spontaneous, but it was such a good decision! Credit obviously goes to Ocean Ave. Tattoo in San Francisco not only for their amazing drawing but they thought having the actual shoe I wear as the tattoo would be much better than a generic sneaker. They were right!

Why I run is simple: it’s the best way to start or end a day, it fuels the mind, heightens self-esteem and even if the rest of the day sucked, it could have been so much worse without getting a 5-miler in. Running races and with groups gives me the sense that I am part of something much more significant than myself and my training ethic; what’s really beautiful about running is that though it challenges the individual, it creates a sense of community not felt in other athletic activities.”

Great tat, Keenan! Hopefully this Ghost won’t haunt you, but instead will be a reminder of all the great miles you’ve spent running.

Who else has a running-inspired tattoo? Share your stories in the comments.

About Derek
I’m a runner, a writer, and a shoe lover who enjoys morning coffee, travel, singing in the car, and getting legitimately lost on trail runs. Three things I can’t live without: bubble tea, Fridays, and my Brooks PureFlow’s.
5 Comments

I love running… And I love Brooks! And my last name is Brooks! Been there, done that with a Brooks running tat

• Ron Brooks

I love running, and I love Brooks! And my last name is Brooks! Been there, done that with a Brooks running tat!

• Gina

My running tattoo is the Japanese Kanji symbol for running, underneath it has part of my favorite bible verse: “…with God all things are possible.” If you look closely you’ll see that same symbol on the back of my running shirt (designed by my running group friends and I for our running group F3)…anyway, I always wanted a tattoo but was afraid of the permanence of it. When faced with a cancer scare I figured, why not?! It turned out I don’t have cancer, and I have no regrets. Although my tattoo isn’t of Brooks shoes, I do love them and wore Brooks Flows when I qualified for the Boston Marathon. I did run it this year, and came out alive, which is another reason I love my tat and it has more meaning than ever!!! Keep on running!

• Gina

My running tattoo is the Japanese Kanji symbol for running, underneath it has part of my favorite bible verse: “…with God all things are possible.” If you look closely you’ll see that same symbol on the back of my running shirt (designed by my running group friends and I for our running group F3)…anyway, I always wanted a tattoo but was afraid of the permanence of it. When faced with a cancer scare I figured, why not?! It turned out I don’t have cancer, and I have no regrets. Although my tattoo isn’t of Brooks shoes, I do love them and wore Brooks Flows when I qualified for the Boston Marathon. I did run it this year, and came out alive, which is another reason I love my tat and it has more meaning than ever!!! Keep on running!

• Johnny

I hope that guy at least got a free pair of shoes!