May | 22
(5)
Running Tips

Guest Blog: Running Myth- It’s Too Hot to Run

brooks running warm weather, warm weather brooks running gear, tips for running in the heat, too hot to run outside

Have you ever let weather keep you from starting a run?

We’ve all been there – “I can’t run today, it’s too hot.” “I’m going to skip my workout today, it’s just too muggy!”  Luckily, it’s possible to run safely in most temperatures. Next time you find yourself questioning mother nature, try these tips to get out and Run Happy.

Get the gear.

To run in extreme weather, you need to have the right gear. It’s essential to have lightly colored, breathable fabrics for those hot days. And in cold weather, you need to layer up and should consider windproof gear, even now as most (but not all) of the country starts warming up. Those evening and night runs can get nippy.

Acclimate.

It takes about two weeks for your body to adapt to a change in temperature. The easiest way to get ready to run in extreme temperatures is to keep running as the seasons change. If you do have to take a break, start out with short runs at a relaxed pace and give your body time to ease back into it.

Hydrate.

Stay hydrated – run with a hand-held water bottle or a water belt. Plan your route so you can stop for water. I like to run around my university campus because all of the buildings have drinking fountains.  City parks are another great option. Do multiple short loops staying close to home instead of an out and back. That way, if you get too cold or start to overheat, you can stop early.

Check the forecast.

Check the five-day forecast. Here in Wisconsin, the weather can easily change by 20 degrees on a day-to-day basis.  Plan your schedule so you’re outside on the more moderate days and cross-training inside on the extreme days. Don’t get too bummed if you can’t do your speed work or long runs. Even short runs can help to maintain your fitness.

Listen to your body.

Ultimately, you have to listen to your body. There definitely are places and days around the U.S. when it’s just too hot to run safely outside. Know when to throw in the towel and head to the gym, do your favorite yoga DVD or just take a rest day.

The most important thing is to do what you can given the circumstances, and sometimes that may mean cutting back a little bit. But use these tips to Run Happy, even as summer approaches.

Recipe- Homemade Energy Chews

This month’s natural running recipe is for homemade running chews.  These chews are bite-sized and offer just a bit of sugar to keep you going, without filling you up or upsetting your stomach. Makes 20.

brooks running warm weather, warm weather brooks running gear, tips for running in the heat, too hot to run outside

You will need:

2 c. 100% fruit juice

2 T. unflavored gelatin powder

1/3 c. Honey

Silicone baking mold

Directions

1. Heat the fruit juice and gelatin in a small pot on the stove on medium-high until the gelatin is dissolved.
  2. Stir in the honey and remove from heat.
  3. Pour carefully into your silicone molds and refrigerate for at least four hours before eating.

Nutrition info for one: 35 calories | 0 grams fat | 4.2mg sodium | 9.0 g carbs | 0.2 g protein

Do you have any running myths you need busted?  Stay tuned for a new running myth post and another healthy running recipe next month!

running myth on nutrition, running nutrition myth busted, nutrition myths for runners, nutrients for runners needsKelly (Egan) Huibregtse is a guest blogger for Brooks, as well as a member of our Inspire Daily program. Look for more posts from her on running myths in the coming months. Kelly is pediatric resident in San Francisco, CA.  So far this year, she has volunteered in India, graduated from medical school, gotten married, and moved across the country to start her first job – in that order.  To follow her adventures, please visit runningblonde.com.

About Guest Blogger
The Brooks Blog regularly features stories from our athletes, running partners and friends who exemplify Run Happy.
5 Comments
  • Jesica D’Avanza

I can’t wait to try making these energy chews. Pinning!!! Thanks for sharing!

• Ben R

Do you think that using flat Coke instead of fruit juice would work okay if I wanted a bit of caffeine in my energy chews?

• Sliver

Coffee-flavored might be alright…and you’d get caffeine that way.

• Sliver

Although Mt. Dew ones might be tasty, too. Not super-healthy but interesting.

• Jenna Sauber

These chews seem interesting. I’ll have to give them a shot! I’ve been struggling with the heat here in Paso Robles, CA. I thought DC humidity and heat was bad, but sometimes just plain heat is bad enough… combined with hills.