Here in the Northwest, we know a thing or two about running in all kinds of rain, and in April you’re sure to see just that – all kinds of rain. Here’s some of our favorite gear for making sure your outside adventures are as comfortable as can be.
- Arm Warmers – In Spring, it’s hard to gauge just how cold it is by looking out the window. Even the heaviest rain might occur in pretty warm conditions. Arm warmers are perfect for when you’re not quite sure how much coverage you need. Halfway through the run and feeling overdressed? Peel them off and tuck them in your shorts for the rest of the run.
- A Light Jacket – Along these same lines, a lightweight jacket, like the LSD Lite Jacket III, is perfect for those runs where it’s drizzling, but not super cold. At 4.3 ounces, this breathable jacket is easy to take off and carry in case of a break in the downpour.
- Socks – I occasionally forget to bring running socks to work, and in dry weather it can be ok. One sockless run through puddles, however, and I will never run in the rain without them again. Chaffing does not even begin to describe what happened to my feet. Please wear socks.
- Bright Colors and Reflectivity – Heavy cloud cover and driving rain makes you less visible even in the middle of the day. Take extra precaution by wearing high visibility colors and clothes with reflective elements. Check out or Nightlife collection for some great options.
- The Perfect Hat – This may be the most obvious answer, but it also will make the biggest difference. Heat escapes from your head so keeping it covered will ensure that some of your body heat stays with you. A bill keeps excess water from running down into your eyes.
What gets you outside and running in the rain? Let us know in the comments!