Feb | 19
(0)
Events, Run Happy Inspiration

Athletes to Watch: Bernie Montoya Sets Goals High for the PR Invite 2-Mile Run

bernie montoya at the pr invite, bernie motnoya running for brooks, where will bernie montya run, when is the pr invite

The fastest of the fastest meet on the track on Feb. 24 for the third annual Brooks PR Invitational.

There’s no doubt that high school senior Bernie Montoya will be an athlete to watch at the upcoming 2013 Brooks PR Invite. With a long list of wins and accomplishments, Montoya has a lot to look forward to when he races the fastest high school runners in the 2-mile run. Off the track, however, the recent Arizona State University commit is like any high school student who likes to run happy.

We asked Bernie eight questions to see what he had to say about running and the upcoming PR Invitational.

If you can’t make it to Seattle, watch Bernie run the 2-mile and check out the rest of the PR Invite athletes online. Flotrack will stream the meet, our student reporters will be tweeting and giving insights from the track and you have the chance to win tons of swag during our Watch & Win competition.

1) Who are you most excited to run against?

I’m really excited to race all the competitors at the Brooks PR Invite. I think it’s going to be a fun race!

2) Do you have any race superstitions?

I don’t like to be too overconfident about a race, because in the end, it can come back and bite you.

bernie montoya at the pr invite, bernie motnoya running for brooks, where will bernie montya run, when is the pr invite

Bernie Montoya will compete in the 2-mile run at the Brooks PR Invitational on Feb. 24

3) Do you have any good luck charms?

My lucky headbands!

4) If you could compete in any other event but your own, what would it be and why?

The decathlon. I think it would be really cool to try all the events out and mix it up.

5) What do you like most about your hometown (Yuma, Ariz.)?

I love the dirt canals I get for my runs, and the weather is pretty awesome and always sunny!

6) What song or artist do you listen to to get pumped up for a race?

I tend to mix it up once in a while… if anything, it’s a very random playlist that I have. It can go from Beethoven one moment and it can be dubstep another moment; it’s extremely random, but whatever gets my mind focused for the race.

7) If you could meet any celebrity, who would it be and why?

Drew Brees- he’s my favorite quarterback in the NFL, and I’m a huge Saints fan!

8) Is there any message you’d like to send to the world before the meet?

“Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you’re gonna get” – Forrest Gump

The PR Invite is going to be one big box of chocolates- with the fastest high school runners from across the country, you never know what kinds of records could be broken, who could win and who will PR at the Dempsey on Feb. 24.

RSVP to join us in Seattle, or choose one of these three ways to catch the action on race day.

About Derek
I’m a runner, a writer, and a shoe lover who enjoys morning coffee, travel, singing in the car, and getting legitimately lost on trail runs. Three things I can’t live without: bubble tea, Fridays, and my Brooks PureFlow’s.
0 Comments