Dec | 26
(3)
Run Happy Inspiration

Would You Donate Your Shoes to Help a Fellow Runner Finish a Race?

amica marathon race review, shoe donation amica marathon, shoe donation rhode island, alex slocum marathon

Alex Slocum was staying at her friend Christa’s house the night before the Amica Marathon in Newport, Rhode Island, when she realized she’d forgotten to pack her Adrenaline GTS shoes. Alex wears a size 9, but after searching the house, the closest alternative they could find was Christa’s mom’s size 8. Alex decided to go for it.

Here’s Alex’s race report:

amica marathon race review, shoe donation amica marathon, shoe donation rhode island, alex slocum marathon

Alex Slocum finished the Amica Marathon after borrowing shoes from a fellow runner.

“I started noticing blisters were in the works around mile 7. I was considering calling it a day at the half and enjoying an afternoon in Newport (it’s really beautiful there).

I started to explain to Christa that I really didn’t want to do that, because I’d already done an 18 mile run, a 19 mile run, a 20 mile run and a 22 mile run. I didn’t sacrifice all those Saturday mornings to just do another half.

So at 12.5 miles, I started asking the women around me who had half marathon bibs, ‘What size do you wear? Anyone wear a size 9?’

A woman behind me heard me and asked what was going on, I told her my plight. She was in a pair of size nine Brooks GTS and said, ‘I’ve never done a full, but I’d love to know my shoes did.’

When she crossed the finish line, I waited for her to get her medal, she handed over her shoes and just asked that I friend her on Facebook and let her know I finished.

My feet were so happy to switch, and the second half was all the better knowing someone did such an amazing thing for me to help me get there.”

Alex emailed her story to our customer service team and it quickly made the rounds here at Brooks HQ. Through Alex, we got in touch with Lisa Grover, the generous ½-marathoner, and sent her a new pair of shoes.

Lisa Grover is no stranger to going barefoot, especially when she can help out a fellow runner.

Do you have a story about making connections through your Brooks running shoes? We love hearing from our customers. Email us here.

About Catherine
I'm a running, banjo picking, motorcycle riding mom of two boys. I love running for all the reasons: getting out with friends, getting out alone, cruising and relaxing, testing my limits. Most of all, having fun!
3 Comments
  • aletafullenwider

Yeah. If I were done with my shoes, I would let someone else use them. They stink pretty bad though..

• http://www.facebook.com/annie.youngayerst Annie Young Ayerst

Yes, I can almost run barefoot so I would absolutely take my shoes off to help another person. I run barefoot on the sand and trails so my feet are pretty tough.

• K Sandefer

I actually did just that. Morning of Big Sur Marathon this year, I gave another runner my extra pair of running shoes. She mistakenly brought 2 left shoes. My sneakers finished long before I did- it was totally worth it. I hope that if i’m ever in that situation, someone helps me out too.