Oct | 30
(0)
Brooks Athletes, Events

Q & A with Brooks Athlete Amy Hastings

Amy Hastings Resting after the 2012 USA Olympic Track and Field Trials

Amy Hastings lays down on the track in Eugene, OR after winning the Women’s 10k US Olympic trials with a time of 31:58:36. Is this how you feel after you go all out?

After finishing a disappointing fourth at the 2012 Olympic Marathon Trials in Houston, Amy Hastings overcame heartbreak and set her sights on qualifying for the US Olympic Team at the Track and Field Trials last May.

Amy went on to win the 10k trials final in a time of 31:58:36 and joined the U.S. team in London for the 2012 Games. While Amy did not make the podium at the 2012 Games, she showed her versatility as an athlete and confirmed her seat as one of the top-ranked female endurance runners.

What is next for Amy after returning from London? Another race of course! On Sunday Hastings will be toeing the line at the New York City Marathon on November 4, 2012. We recently sat down with the Amy to learn more about what fuels her passion for running, for life and for Run Happy! This is what she shared.

When and why did you start running?

Hastings: My freshman year of high school I went out for the cross country team and was immediately hooked.  It was the most fun I ever had being part of something.  Later on I realized I loved more than just being on the team, I loved the act of running as well.

What is the best race you’ve ever had?

Hastings: My Senior year of college my team was competing for the NCAA title.  For us to tie for the win I had to place 8th in the 3,000m and for us to take the title I had to place 7th.  It was such a mad rush for the finish line with so many girls that when I crossed I wasn’t sure if I had placed 7th, 8th or 9th.  I looked to my coach and he put up seven fingers with a giant smile.  Right then my team erupted into cheering and I ran over to be with them in the stands.  That was one of the best racing moments of my life.

Who is your running role model?

Hastings: There are so many people who inspire me to be a better athlete and person.  I have always looked up to Deena Kastor not only for the incredible athlete that she is but also for the way she lives her life.

How do you build your confidence before race?

Hastings: In order to build my confidence before races and to help prevent the jitters I always write everything down. I start with by making a timetable and a checklist that includes everything from *don’t tie shoes too tight, to *last chance to use the bathroom.  I also write down a race plan.  The race plan usually doesn’t include strategy because you never know how it will play out but more with the emotions and feelings that I will go through during a race and how I am going to react to them.  That way it’s not a complete surprise when I get to a K to go and it hurts like crazy but still have to kick it in.  I always end my race plan with the goal for that particular race.

Do you have a race or training superstition?

Hastings:The smarter you train the better you will race.

What do you think would happen if everyone ran?

Hastings:…the world would be a happier place.  No one can be mad with all those endorphins!

What is your favorite Brooks shoe?

Hastings:The Ghost!!!!  The best shoes ever!  And the wire spikes got me on the U.S. world team and propelled my to two PR’s, so I love them, too!

When you are not running, what do you do?

Hastings:…sleep or eat.  Gotta rest up and refuel for that next run!

What’s on your bucket list?

Hastings: Learning to fly fish and brewing my own beer.

Do you have any quirky habits?

Hastings: I’m overall just kind of a weird person.

What did you want to be when you were a kid?

Hastings: When I was a kid my dream job changed about three times a week and was anything from being a chocolatier to elephant trainer in the circus.  However, being able to run for a living is better than anything my ten year old brain could have dreamed up.

Thanks Amy for sharing your thoughts!

Want to learn more? Follow @Hastyhastings on Twitter and checkout the transcript from our recent Twitter Q&A with Amy. Run Happy!

About Joel
I am a runner in Seattle, Washington. When I'm not at work, I enjoy camping, running trail races and exploring the outdoors.
0 Comments

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.