Jun | 25
(0)
Brooks Athletes, Events

Q & A with Brooks Athletes on Training, Gear & Run Happy

What do Brooks athletes rock out to as they train for the 2012 US Track & Field Olympic Trials?

The US Olympic Track and Field Trials are underway in Eugene, Oregon and Brooks athletes are already putting on some impressive performances. A huge congratulations goes out to Amy Hastings for her win in the 10,000m, earning herself a spot on the 2012 USA Olympic Team. Hastings pushed the pace for the second half of the race, kicking past her competitors and across the finish line with an official time of 31:58.36. Amazing!

We recently sat down with (or ran with) some of our top athletes competing at the Olympic Trials to learn more about how they prepared for their crucial events. Read below to learn more about what goes through the minds of these track champions.

For more information on the 2012 US Olympic Track and Field Trials, visit http://tracktown12.gotracktownusa.com.

Angela Bizzarri

Follow Angela on Twitter at @angelabizzarri

Follow Angela on Twitter at @angelabizzarri

Olympic Track & Field Event: 5k

How did your training feel heading into the trials?

Training has been going well heading into the trials. I am much stronger aerobically then I have ever been.

What is your favorite Run Happy memory?

Setting my PR for the 5000m last year at the USA Outdoor Track and Field Championships. I was surprised with such as great result and enjoyed seeing a lot of hard work paying off.

What Brooks shoes do you train in? Race in? What is your favorite Brooks short?

I have trained in many different Brooks shoes throughout the past year. My two personal favorite as of recently are the Brooks PureFlow and the PureCadence. I really like the Epiphany Boy Short to train in as they are the perfect length for a spandex short.

What is your favorite “Pump Up” songs to listen to pre-run/race?

I’m not much of a pump up song person. I listen to really relaxing music before I run.

How has your training felt heading into the trials?

My training has been going really well. I’ve been trying to race more to give my body and mind a chance to acclimate to race day situations. I seem to sharpen up when I race more…so I’ve been going back to my college roots and hitting the starting line more often.

My favorite run happy days are the easy days with my husband and our dog, Brook. She loves to run and accompanies me on most of my runs.

Amy Hastings

Olympic Track & Field Events: 10k & 5k

Follow Amy on Twitter at @HastyHastings

Follow Amy on Twitter at @HastyHastings

To be completely honest my training has been really up and down these past five months.  I have had numerous minor injuries, I’ve been sick and it has been an emotional roller coaster since the marathon trials.  The one thing that has been completely steady during this time however has been my determination.  I want to be an Olympian and no matter what is thrown my way that goal will not falter.

When my college team won NCAA’s indoor and outdoor my senior year of college.

Shayla Houlihan 

Follow Shayla on Twitter at @shalayla

Follow Shayla on Twitter at @shalayla

Olympic Track & Field Event: Steeplechase

I’ve had some ups and downs but this is the best I have felt leading up to a national championship. The biggest challenges are taking the not so great things about the lead up and turning them into positives because nothing goes perfectly in racing about 90 percent of the time so I’d like to think I’m fully prepared for anything that is thrown in my way.

I think it would have to be the week I spent with my Brooks Beasts in Austin.

I switch between the Launch, the Defyance and the Green Silence to train in. I race on the roads in the T7‘s and the steeplechase in the Wire. My favorite short switches between the Versatile 3.5” Low Rise Woven and the Epiphany Stretch.

Girl Talk

Katie Mackey

Follow Katie on Twitter @KatiefMackey

Olympic Track & Field Event: 1,500m

This year has been full of transitions for me, from getting married on New Years Eve to moving across the country to Boston, MA from Portland, OR. Yet, despite all of this, I feel more confident in my training this year than ever. My coach, Danny Mackey, who also happens to be my husband is very knowledgeable and knows what I need to do. My training this year has not only been more calculated from a training perspective than ever before, but I also feel stronger and more confident than I ever have at this point in the year. I’m very excited for the trials and hope to have my best race of the year there!

I love trail running in the woods, where all you can hear is the birds. It’s so peaceful. This past year, my favorite Run Happy memory was running in Yellowstone National Park with my husband Danny. We had just gotten engaged the day before, so I felt like I was floating the whole run, and the wildflowers were gorgeous! I’ll admit though, I’m terrified of grizzly bears and was a little scared the whole time…a little extra adrenaline I guess!

I train in the Ghost or Ravenna. I love racing in the flashy new hot pink and nightlife yellow Wires!! My favorite Brooks short is the Women’s Infiniti Short II, they’re so comfortable that sometimes I’ll sleep in them, run in them and wear them the rest of the day haha!

I love to listen to dance music before I race, it loosens me up and gets me excited to get out there and tear it up! This years “pump-up” list includes: Planetary (GO!) by My Chemical Romance, Mr. Saxobeat by Alexandra Stan, Moves Like Jagger by Maroon 5, Glad You Came by The Wanted, In the Dark by Dev, and Call Me Maybe by Carly Rae Jepsen among others…

Ryan Vail

Congrats to Ryan on a strong 6th place finish in the 10k at the 2012 US Olympic Trials in Eugene.

Olympic Track & Field Event: 10k

Training has progressed as well as I had hoped.  It’s difficult to balance the unique energy that comes from the trials with the temptation to over-train.  As the race gets closer and closer, and training volume starts to taper, it is an effort to keep things under control.  I’m fit, I’m healthy, and I’m excited to compete.

Training in the Czech village of Rodinov, my wife’s hometown, truly embodies the Run Happy mentality.  The village has 200 people, a pub, and a small grocery store.  There are endless miles of rolling country roads and forested trails that connect other small villages in the region.  My interval training is done on an old four-lane track at an elementary school and is usually followed by a heavy meal of traditional goulash and dumplings.  It’s just pure and simple.

For lighter training runs I’m usually wearing the Brooks Adrenaline or Ravenna, and for the faster training/racing days I’ll have on either the T7 or the Wire 2.  For shorts I prefer the HVAC Synergy series.

I am constantly changing the music on my iPod, but pre-race songs are usually some kind of classic rock.  Often times this will include AC/DC, ZZ Top, Guns’n'Roses, etc.

Brooks Beasts: Road to London

Want to learn more how Brooks athletes trained for the Eugene trials? Watch the Road to London video series featuring the Brooks Beasts.

About Joel
I am a runner in Seattle, Washington. When I'm not at work, I enjoy camping, running trail races and exploring the outdoors.
0 Comments