Apr | 19
(0)
Brooks Athletes, Run Happy Inspiration

WOOT! Olympic Hopeful Neely Spence Joins Hansons-Brooks Team

Cross Country Neely and Father

Neely poses with her father and coach

With a storied college career that includes eight NCAA Division II national championships, Neely Spence is joining the professional running ranks. After forgoing her senior season on the track, Spence set her sights on Olympic glory and has chosen the elite running group Hansons-Brooks and Brooks to help her reach her goals.

Watch this Flotrack.org interview with Neely.

“I have spent the last few months visiting training groups and talking to both coaches and athletes, looking for the right professional environment that can help take my performances to the next level,” said. “The dynamic of the team and coaches, the incredible amount of support, the common goal of a long and successful career, and enthusiasm for bringing me on board are all reasons why I am so excited about joining the Hansons-Brooks.”

Now with a contract signed, Spence will make the move to Rochester Hills, Mich., to ramp up her training for the U.S. Olympic Track & Field Trials in June. There she will vie for an Olympic spot in both the 5k and 10k.  If she earns a spot on the team, she will join fellow Hansons-Brooks  teammate Desi Davila, who punched her ticket to the games at the Olympic Marathon Trials in Houston in January.

Neely tearing up the track

Neely tearing up the track

“We are extremely excited to bring an athlete the caliber of Neely Spence into the Hansons-Brooks family,” said Kevin Hanson. “We feel that she has the ability to race with the best females in the U.S. and will make an excellent teammate and training partner for our other female athletes.”

Spence spent her last four years as a stand-out runner at Shippensburg University where she earned six track and field and two cross country Division II NCAA national championship titles and four NCAA Division II records. In professional competition, she placed seventh at last year’s USA Outdoor Track and Field Championships and was the top collegiate runner in the race.

We are excited to have Neely join the team!

The super-fast Hanson-Brooks team just got even faster!

The super-fast Hanson-Brooks team just got even faster!

What does training look like for Hanson-Brooks? Watch the Made in Detroit series embedded below highlighting the training Desi and her fellow runners went through in preparation for the 2012 Olympic Marathon Trials in Houston.

Hanson-Brooks Training

About Joel
I am a runner in Seattle, Washington. When I'm not at work, I enjoy camping, running trail races and exploring the outdoors.
0 Comments