Apr | 19
(7)
Run Happy Inspiration, Running Tips

Finding Zen and Running Responsibly

Brooks team member Stacey shares how she found her passion for working in eco-focused organization

Brooks team member Stacey shares how she found her passion for working in an eco-focused organization

A lot of people ask me how I got into my current field of work at Brooks.  What I tell them is that many moons ago I rebooted my career, found a great company, and fell into a new passion–corporate responsibility.

Read about Brooks’ Running Responsibly Program.

In May 1997 I graduated from Boston University with a Bachelors in business administration with a focus on accounting.  Over the next eight years my career was on fire as I worked my way up the ladder at various large corporations and eventually earned  a seat on my company’s executive team.  There was one thing missing from my career:  passion.  At the end of each work day, I was exhausted.

To promote our corporate responsibility report, Brooks developed a limited edition of shoes made entirely of recycled materials

To promote our corporate responsibility report, Brooks developed a limited edition of shoes made entirely of recycled materials

In the spring of 2004 I looked in the mirror and asked myself “Do I want to be doing this job at 40?”  That is when I decided it was time to make a change.  Soon after, I quit my job, traveled around the world and embarked on a soul searching journey.  The experience was eye opening.

In a Zen-like moment I realized that it was time that I aligned myself with a company that shares the same passions and values that I do.  I wanted to work for a company that inspired me, and that lived and breathed honesty, integrity, and fun.  That is when I found Brooks.  After working for various large, stale and cultureless corporations, Brooks was not only a breath of fresh air, but also a culture explosion.  The people were happy, active, energetic and fun. I was in heaven!

After I was hired, I joined the Corporate Responsibility Team at Brooks and was tasked with a simple mission:  Do the right thing and cause no unnecessary harm. In a nutshell I help Brooks design and implement strategic programs that improve factory working conditions around the world, with a focus on building long-term partnerships, and facilitating continuous improvement with our suppliers.

Last year we evolved this process into a holistic program for managing social, environment, and economic responsibilities. At many companies this area of work is called Corporate Responsibility. Running is always at the top of our mind, so at Brooks we call this program Running Responsibly. We even recently launched a website highlighting Brooks commitment to supporting social and environmental good at brooksrunning.com/runningresponsibly. For additional info on Brooks’ social and environmental goals, take a look at our Corporate Responsibility Report.

Working in corporate responsibility is a continuous journey, one that I’m happy and excited to be a part of.  Doing good also feels good, and following your passion can provide a truly rewarding career. Have you made a career change to pursue your passion? Add a comment below.

For additional details about Brooks’ social and environment programs, please visit Running Responsibly. To learn about job openings at Brooks, visit our careers page and follow us on LinkedIn.

Corporate Responsibility Report

About Stacey
I am a cyclist, farmer, and passionate Corporate Responsibility professional in Bonney Lake, WA. When I’m not promoting fair and safe working conditions throughout Brooks’ supply chain, I enjoy hiking in the Cascades, traveling the globe, and organic gardening.
7 Comments
  1. Lauren

Recently working on graduate degree. Talked to my career counselor who
    Emphasized same principals of finding a job and company that shares the same values as u and demonstrates them! He actually says a lot of people pick a degree and then a company. However if u think about the lifestyle u want and your values and find workplaces that fit them u will be much better off. Great article ! Very inspiring

2. Joel R.

I completely understand how you feel.  I’m currently a senior in college..in Georgia!  I absolutely love Brooks Running and am doing everything I can to become an employee there when i graduate.  When you find a company as wonderful and inspiring as Brooks, any job they offer is like finding a gemstone.  Hopefully, one day, I can pack up and move to Bethel.

3. Angeline

I haven’t changed my career yet but it is something is on my mind on a regular basis. I’m a project manager for a remodeling firm and while at some point I loved my profession since I’ve started running I now schedule my work around my runs and other active pursuits as much as possible. I’d love to find a profession in the endurance sports and running industry but I have no idea where to start looking. Pointers?

4. Angeline

I haven’t changed my career yet but it is something is on my mind on a regular basis. I’m a project manager for a remodeling firm and while at some point I loved my profession since I’ve started running I now schedule my work around my runs and other active pursuits as much as possible. I’d love to find a profession in the endurance sports and running industry but I have no idea where to start looking. Pointers?

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.