Nov | 9
(7)
Run Happy Inspiration, Running Tips

5 Tips to Help You Survive Your Next Long Run

Runners wearing Brooks

Only 20 easy miles to go...

If you are training for a half, full, or ultra-marathon, long runs are a fact of your life. But just because you are running long distances, 10-, 15-, 20-miles or more, doesn’t mean you need to be uncomfortable for the entire run. Here are five tips to help you survive your next long run.

1. Plan ahead. Before you head out on your long run make sure you have eaten and hydrated properly. Beginning your run dehydrated and hungry can lead to muscle fatigue sooner than when you are well-fueled.
  2. Know where restrooms and drinking fountains are. Because long runs are just that, longer than your average training run, your body may react differently than when you’re running your normal route. It can be convenient to know where restrooms and drinking fountains are located along your route.
  3. Wear the right gear. Nothing can make a long run feel even longer than wearing uncomfortable socks or clothes that chafe. Wearing the right clothes and accessories is key to a happy long run. If you are running in the evening make sure you either have enough daylight to complete your run or wear the proper gear for running at night.
  4. Don’t break in a new pair of running shoes on a long run. It can be tempting to pull out a brand new pair of PureProject shoes or another variety for a long run, but take your new shoes on a couple shorter trips first. The last thing you need is an unexpected blister forming around the halfway point.
  5. Run with music. Create a playlist of upbeat, motivational songs for your MP3 player. Nothing is more motivating than listening to your favorite songs as you cruise down the trail. Just make sure you have enough music to last for your entire outing.

What tips do you have for surviving long runs?

About Kristen
Kristen has worked for Brooks since summer 2011 and is an addicted runner. She ran in the Big 10 conference for The Ohio State University where she recently finished her master’s degree in Communication. Kristen is now running half-marathons (with a PR of 1:18:41) and full marathons (2:45:46). Kristen is a 2012 Olympic Marathon Trials qualifier.
7 Comments
  1. Mary

Do your best to not pay too much attention to your pace. When you have already run a lot of mileage earlier in the week, of course you may not be as quick for your long run. Just count on getting the mileage complete. The speed should come out in your workouts, and of course, on race day!

2. Larry Stringer

I would add, plan to have your recovery food ready. I pack some chocolate milk with me because I usually drive a little ways to my trail.

3. Shane

I’m training for my first full after just getting into running in May, I had my longest long run of my training before tapering down this past Friday….it was a 23 miler, and at about 21 I hit the wall head-on but never stopped running till I hit 23 miles. Man what a horrible feeling during that last 2 miles……will definitely fuel up the week leading into the Dallas White Rock Marathon. But on another note…my new (about 30 miles on them) Brook’s Glycerin 9’s I bought just for this race are amazing….thank you for a great shoe.

4. May Shek

Run with a friend.  Even if you don’t run at the same pace, it’s great to know that someone is waiting on you Sat/Sun morning.  This really motivates me to do and commit to the long run! :)

5. Paul Henry

Dont be afraid to stop and take a short walk break every now and again, especially if your extendingyour long run out to distances that you havent run before. This will help you complete the distnace as well as stop you from falling into a death march shuffle.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.