Nov | 2
(1)
Brooks Athletes, Events, Run Happy Inspiration, Running Tips

Training Q & A with The Bachelor’s Molly Mesnick

Jason and Molly Mesnick

Brooks is training Jason and Molly Mesnick from The Bachelor for the Las Vegas Rock 'N' Roll 1/2 Marathon.

Neither wind, nor rain, nor body aches can stop Molly and Jason Mesnick of The Bachelor as they train and prepare to set new PRs at the Las Vegas Rock n Roll Half-Marathon. Molly and Jason Mesnick are officially halfway through their six-week training program and despite recently hitting a string of training hurdles, the couple is on track to run their fastest half-marathon on December 4th.

I recently sat down with Molly after she completed an eight-mile training run to learn more about how she is preparing for Vegas. Below is what she shared:

What has been your greatest success in training so far?

I’ve never been “self-motivated” when it comes to running. I need that extra push from a running buddy, otherwise I will always find an excuse to either not run or to stop periodically throughout my jaunt. This past weekend, I had no other option but to head out for an 8-miler all by myself…and I did it without stopping. It was a huge success for me to not only complete 8 miles, but to have the motivation inside of me to just “keep on running” even when I wanted to stop.

What has been the hardest part of training?

You would think running 8 miles would be the hardest part of training [my longest distance so far in my training plan], but for me, it’s actually finding the time to fit in an 8 mile run. I have a very busy and hectic life, so it’s not always easy for me to carve out an hour or two to get in a long run. Training for any race takes a lot of dedication and time, so I’ve definitely had to prioritize my schedule and shift things around to make room for those weekly long runs!

How have you overcome the training hurdles you have encountered?

One of my biggest setbacks throughout training is a knee injury that I’m dealing with. It’s really tough for me to run 2 days in a row without being feeling discomfort. With that being said, I’m taking all of the precautionary measures to make sure I don’t overdo it and I accept that I have to compromise my training schedule if my knee just isn’t feeling right one day.

Are there days when you don’t feel like running?

More times than not, I don’t feel like running. I’m not one of those people who has the “running gene” and it definitely doesn’t come naturally to me. I do, however, have a competitive side to myself. Because I have set my personal goals high for the Las Vegas Rock n Roll half-marathon, that competitive nature has helped me keep on track with training.

Do you have any advice for other runners who hit hurdles during training?

Whether your training hurdle has to do with time, an injury, or anything else, I think it’s important to do what works best for YOU! Many times people get too encumbered by following a strict training schedule that becomes impossible and overwhelming. Sometimes you need to compromise and re-prioritize. Follow a training plan that works for you and your body!

Overall, how are you feeling about your progress and the upcoming race?

After completing last week’s 8 miles, I’m feeling really great about my training progress. It is so fun to see how my body has changed and how I can handle more miles. When I started training, I was huffing and puffing after 3 miles. Now, 3 miles feels easy breezy and I get excited to head out for a longer run. I’ve enjoyed pushing myself to do something I never thought I could do before. Vegas…here I come!

Want to learn more about Molly and Jason’s progress leading up to their big run in Vegas?  Follow them on Twitter at @Jason_Mesnick and @MollyMesnick to learn more about their daily progress. We’ll be cheering for her!

Are you training for a the Rock ‘N’ Roll Las Vegas Marathon & Half-Marathon, or another race? How is your training going?

About Kristen
Kristen has worked for Brooks since summer 2011 and is an addicted runner. She ran in the Big 10 conference for The Ohio State University where she recently finished her master’s degree in Communication. Kristen is now running half-marathons (with a PR of 1:18:41) and full marathons (2:45:46). Kristen is a 2012 Olympic Marathon Trials qualifier.
1 Comments
  • http://www.brooksrunning.com Joel Ballezza, Brooks

@MollyMesnick:twitter is running the Get Your Rear in Gear 5K as training this Sunday. Details at http://www.getyourrearingear.com/events/list/2011/bothell-wa-2011/