Oct | 14
(7)
Run Happy Inspiration, Running Tips

Fast Food Recipe: West African Pumpkin Soup with Peanuts

African Soup

What recipes do you make to fuel your running?

Whether you are jogging around the block with friends or training for your marathon PR, running happy (and strong) means eating foods that fuel your run and keep you energized. On race day, this may mean slurping down energy gels, but in regular life you will want to stick with healthy, nutritious foods.

At Brooks, we take this to heart and are lucky to have an in-house chef who prepares daily meals for staff. Below is the recipe for a dish we recently enjoyed. This homemade soup is not only delicious to eat, but fast to put together from scratch. This is why we call it “Fast Food”. Look for more of these healthy recipes in the coming weeks!

West African Pumpkin Soup with Peanuts

1 Tablespoon of Olive oil

1 Medium onion-diced

2 Ribs celery-diced

3-4 Cloves garlic-thinly sliced

½ Teaspoon cayenne

1 Tablespoon grated fresh ginger

1 Tablespoon Madras curry powder

2 Tablespoons tomato paste

1 29 oz can pumpkin puree

4-6 Cups vegetable stock or chicken stock

1 Cup natural peanut butter

3 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar

Salt and or soy sauce — to taste

Preparation Instructions:

In large pot, sauté onions and celery in olive oil until soft. Add garlic, cayenne and ginger, curry powder and tomato paste. Cook until fragrant (about 5 minutes).

Stir in pumpkin, 3 cups stock, and peanut butter. In batches, process soup in your blender until smooth. Add more stock as necessary, then return to pot. Heat thoroughly, then add vinegar and season to taste with salt or soy sauce. Serve with sour cream (or skip for a lower calorie alternative), cilantro, and peanuts. Enjoy!

Did you make this recipe? Post a photo or add a comment in the area below.

About Joel
I am a runner in Seattle, Washington. When I'm not at work, I enjoy camping, running trail races and exploring the outdoors.
7 Comments
  1. Danni Baird

I saw someone mentioned on facebook that their child had a peanut allergy, my daughter has a severe peanut allergy too and I love pumpkin soup! I haven’t done this recipe (will soon though!) but with other pumpkin soups peanut butter is a common ingredient but we have a peanut free house so I’ve made it with almond butter and cashew butter, both are great options! I haven’t tried sun butter yet but I think that would work. The almond butter is very yummy but a bit different than cashew butter, the cashew is a bit of a sweeter soup. Both great options though for peanut free houses!

2. Liz

This soup turned out awesome, I never have tried a pumpkin/peanut combo. Love it. I would advise starting with half of the recommended curry and cayenne, then add to taste. Mine was REALLY spicy and I ended up toning it down with skim milk.

3. Sheridesabike

We just finished having this soup for dinner.  Wonderful!  We followed the receipe but added an extra cup of stock.  Just the right amound of spice. This is not a side dish but a complete meal, with a nice slice of whole wheat bread.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.